11-24-19 "What we can expect our Leader to do" pastor Justin Canfield
download the mp3 here
Notes related to the sermon
- Psalm 23:4 says that we will not fear the darkest valley, we will not fear danger or evil. What is so empowering about the presence of God in our lives?
- Who are people in Scripture who seemed profoundly aware of God’s presence in challenging circumstances? As we think on God’s presence, share a time when God’s presence strengthened you or ways we may need that strength in the future.
- What are things that can cause us to lose sight of God’s presence?
- David says that God prepares a table for him in the midst of his enemies. What does this say about David’s perspective when faced with difficult people in his life?
- What are other responses that we see from people in Scripture who were surrounded by enemies?
- What thoughts and emotions are we tempted to have when we have enemies/difficult people in our lives? Why do we struggle to “sit at the table”?
- David says in verse 5 of Psalm 23, my cup overflows. We could be tempted to ask in David’s life if its overflowing from trouble or goodness but he claims overflowing a good way. What is the source of David’s and our abundance?
- David makes a stunning statement in verse 6: goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life. Jeremiah makes a similar statement in Lamentations 3:22-24. How do maintain our belief in something that is undeniably true when we do not feel like it is true?
- When have you experienced God’s goodness and mercy the most?